Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Great Flood

It was 3am. I was done with work. I exited the highway and headed up Addison. I had to drive my just-cleaned baby-mobile under the UP RR tracks and through some 5 inches of pulsing sewer water. Slow as I might have driven through this "Omen," it was my refrigerator of beer that beckoned me to the basement.

The moment I opened the door to the basement the 5 inches of water seemed to say that they'd had enough and were ready to recede. In 10 minutes the entire floor of the Garden Suite had emptied through the two floor drains.


As I write, weather.com says 100% chance of rain through 4am. It is now 3:48 am. My beer is nearly empty. Should I put I my rubber boots and grab another cold one? Might as well grab 'em all!

The top of the dryer, the top of the bar and the bar rack were also wet; drops of water sat trying to be a better clue than the now-draining rain water that was at my ankles. How high did the water get!? Some of my kegs and carboys were still floating--near the dryer! What the hell is going on? (Cue sound of beer can opening ... ) The nasty sound of water rushing out of the floor-drain made my first sip of a cold Polish Lager go flat. *shudder* I wadded over to the bedroom and saw the carpet floating... *long swig* *shudder*

I stood at the bedroom threshold with a broom, paddling water away from the center of the bedroom and toward the saving grace that was the floor drain. The sheets of the newly installed guest bed were lapping in the pool. Hardly any water was drawn up by it. I had paddled enough.

Question: How do you clean a sleeping bag?

S

2 comments: